Friday 20 March 2009

Where to start

I have neglected my blog so badly, I'm surpriced it would let me in ;-)

Where to start with all the things I have done since november? Maybe I'll just start with the thing I finished most resently and work backwards.

The last thing I finished were a pair of beaded wrist warmers. I made them for myself and not only because they are pretty but with a purpose. At work my desk is next to the window and alltough the building is warm enough most of the time, my desk and things on it can be cold. Resting my wrists on the desk while using the keyboard sometimes leads to very cold hands. Just my hands, so no reason to put on a thicker sweater.
When I saw these nice wristlets on ravelry, I wanted to make a pair of my own. I took some sock yarn and ordered some beads (9/0 beads, from this shop). I got a pattern from this book: Beads knitting by Kotomi Hayashi.
The book is in Japanese, so I only used the chart and figured out the rest myself.
First to thread all the beads I needed. I used some beadwork thread to load like 20 beads on and folded an eye in it to transfer the bead on to the sock yarn. The sock yarn was to thick to use in the eye of the needle. I had to split it a little, remove part of the plies and use glue to make a nice transition. When all that was done getting the beads on was easy, but time consuming. Somewhere in the book I read 30 grams (beads? yarn?). After one evening stringing beads I was at around 18 grams of beads and desided I had enough for at least one wrist warmer. I wanted to get going with the knitting.

I started with a provisionaly cast on with 40 stitches, but that was to much, so I ripped it again and made a new start with 35 stitches. This turned out nicely. Knitting was realy easy, just knit and when the pattern asked for a bead slide a bead between the stitches. It could haven been done in a few hours, where it not that al those beads had to be slided over the yarn during the process. So I would knit a few rows and stop and spend 5 minutes sliding beads.
After 3 pattern repeats the rectangle was big enough.

I removed the provisionaly cast on, picked up the begin stitches on the other point of the circular needle and started grafting both edges together. Resulting in a beautifull seamless cilinder.
One down, one to go. More than half of the beads were still on the yarn, so no threading beads for the second wristlet. One other evening and that one was done to.

I'm very happy with the result. I will sertainly make some more, maybe in another color.

Although, there are still a lot of beads on the black yarn...

No comments: