Friday 20 March 2009

Hats and mittens

Winter was coming and so was the need for hats and mittens.

I had a lot of little balls of yarn left over from the Norge 2000 projects and this pattern also happened to have hat patterns in it so I started with a little lovely stranded hat for my little girl.

When I finished I saw that my little girl was not that little anymore. It was to small. I gave it away to a friend with a 4 months old girl, she will grow in to it.

I loved the combination of red and orange so I decided to use that for a second attempt. I casted on some extra stitches, looked for girly stitch patterns and knitted away.

The new hat was a little big, but she likes it that way, hiding behind the edge of the hat.

Then there were cold little hands. The orange yarn was almost gone, so this time off-white became the companion of red. I copied the butterfly pattern from some adult mittens I saw on the internet, 'Kotka' from this book from Eeva Haavisto.

My pattern should be much smaller, so I made a new chart in excell. I also made a pattern for the other side of the mitten and a little patterning for the thumb, but decided later on not to use that one.


The little mittens were a quick knit. I added a cord to go trough the sleeves of her winter coat and one child was prepaired for winter.

My son did not want a hat. He liked the fleece one he got in LegoLand.
What he wanted was a bigger version of his mittens from last year, the pirate mittens. These were made with sock yarn and the Norge 2000 yarn was thicker, so I figured I could use the same pattern.


I had to improvise a little with the left overs, combine some colors. The result was very well recieved. Winter could start.

1 comment:

Berrycah said...

Thank you for making a chart for the butterflies! I really liked the butterfly patterin but couldn't get a hold of the book so your blog helped me a lot! I am thinking anout using it in a fair isle hat that I want to knit for myself :) I will link your blog post to the Ravelry project page :)
Also both of the hats and mittens look great :)